What happens if I lose the ability to make decisions for myself?


Life can be uncertain, and there may come a time whether through illness or injury that you are unable to make decisions yourself. Therefore, it is important to plan ahead.

An Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA) enables you to appoint someone you trust to make decisions on your behalf, particularly if you are unable to do so yourself. These legal documents can protect your best interests and ensure you and your loved ones are being looked after.

There are two types of EPAs:

1.       Enduring Power of Attorney for Personal Care and Welfare – this EPA only comes into effect if you become ‘mentally incapable’ and enables your attorney to make medical or other related decisions about your care and welfare.

2.       Enduring Power of Attorney for Property – can come into effect before you become ‘mentally incapable’, and can cover a select number of things you own or everything you own.

Should you become mentally incapable before having an EPA in place, your loved ones may need to apply for a Family Court order. This can be a time consuming and costly process. Worse yet, the judge is reliant on the information provided to them and will not necessarily know who you trust or rely on to appoint as a decision maker.

Whether you would like your affairs looked after for a short or long while, the team at Dawsons can help you arrange your EPAs and give you peace of mind over decisions made about your property and personal care and welfare.

Do an EPA online now for only $240 (normally $400 including certification by a lawyer)

Disclaimer: The information on this page is general information only and must not be relied on as legal advice.